The Communication
technology that is most fascinating to me is motion pictures and how they have
evolved through time. I have always been a huge movie buff and couldn’t imagine
life without it. Watching a movie is an incredible way to step out of your
everyday ordinary life and experience a journey while learning all sorts of new
and exciting things. I think it really adds color to your life and the way you
interact with others and the way you view the world. According to a class
lecture and the textbook, “Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals,”
Ch. 2 explains how in the 1890’s, William Disckson, the assistant to Thomas
Edison, developed the kinetograph and the kinetoscope, a motion picture camera
and coin fed viewing system. Edison later created the Vitascope which made it
possible for larger audiences to see these images publicly and concurrently by the
year 1894. The author states, “In France in that same year, Georges Méliès started
the first motion picture theater. Short movies became part of public
entertainment in a variety of American venues by 1900 (Campbell, 2002), and
average weekly movie attendance reached 40 million people by 1922.” Theater
attendance began to grow through 1930 until the Great Depression hit affecting
this technology significantly. Attendance rose and fell in correlation with the
wars but hit is peak from 1946 to 1949 with 90 million attendees weekly. From
here, Television was introduced and attendance began plummeting again. It is
incredible to see all the different ways technology has advanced and expanded
overtime to enhance how we view these incredible films. While theater sales are
not what they used to be, we have been introduced to technological advancements
that allow for a different ways to experience films. Technology is such a
crucial part of the world we live in and it is important to keep up with the
constant changes and gain a better understanding of these fascinating
communication technologies.
I chose motion pictures too. I love motion pictures for the same reason that you do. I do like how you talked about the current changes and how we can now watch movies in a different way. For example the digital Troll release. I am consistently looking to understand the changes in communication technologies and Im excited to see where it takes us next,
ReplyDeleteBrittney Sinema-Tisdale
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI find your topic very interesting and it is amazing to think of how important and influential motion pictures are to our lives today. It is also crazy to think of how long ago they first started, and I’m sure back when they first started catering to major audiences in 1894 that no one would have thought they would be at where they are today.
ReplyDelete-Ileana Villareal